Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Five years ago today....

...I was at home, on bedrest, pregnant with Brooke. I had battled high-blood pressure problems throughout my pregnancy (which I shall further comment on in another post), and it had started to rise a lot more at the end. So my doctor put me on bedrest, or more so-"stay home and relax and don't do anything stressful." It wasn't-"lay-in-your-bed-and-do-nothing bedrest". (You know one thing I love about this being my blog is that I can punctuate however I so choose!).
Two days earlier (March 29th) I'd had a doctor's appt and my blood pressure concerned her, so she had me do (my third) 24-hour urine test. Those are fun. You get to catch your urine in a cup for exactly 24 hours, and pour it into a jug that you keep in your fridge. Then you run the jug to the doctors office and get your blood drawn (I won't even get started on my issues with that) and they test the urine to see if there is protein in it. So urine delivered on March 30th.

On the 31st, I woke up early, around 630; because Matt was getting ready to leave for work and I couldn't get back to sleep. I'm sure I'm not the first 9-month-pregnant woman who had trouble sleeping. I don't really remember much of what I did during bedrest, except that I watched a lot of TLC and Discovery Health. Around 10 a.m. that morning, my doctors partner called (because my doc was out of the office for the morning) to tell me she thought my 24hour urine test looked fine and to just keep on resting. Whew. I would be 37 weeks on the 1st so we were doing great! Little Ethan Alexander or Brooke Elizabeth would be here soon, but not today.

I had 2 soft tacos from Taco Bell for lunch. You know those are small. Remember this later.

I got a call from my doctor at 2p.m. "I don't know what my partner was thinking. These test results are NOT okay. I think we need to have this baby soon." Me being the planner that I am knew that we really were hoping to have the baby on a Friday. It would work good for Matt's vacation time. :) At first she thought that would be okay. We hung up, and we were going to have a baby on Friday (the 2nd). I called Matt. I layed in bed some more. Twenty minutes later the phone rang again. "I don't think we can wait till Friday. I think we need to have this baby today. You need to go to the hospital." Slow feelings of panic stirred in my belly as I tried to process it. I said "well can we go when Matt gets off work or do I need to leave now?" (we are always conscientious of vacation time around here haha). She said we could go when Matt gets home. I call Matt (nervous tears and voice cracking). I call my mom. I cry to her about being scared (just about having a baby!!! and giving birth!!! I was excited the time was here, but I was nervous!!!). I pack. I hadn't packed yet, because I wasn't too worried about it all. Not like you really need much anyways.

When I called Matt, I called the phone in the hangar. He was out running an airplane. So I left a msg for him to call me. Then I called his dad. Who then called the guys at the tower and had them radio the message out to Matt in the airplane that we needed to go to the hospital today. I cannot imagine his emotions/thoughts at that moment. And I think it is kind of comical that they did that.

Matt came home and took a shower. And ate something. I was climbing the walls and he was taking his time. He does that. I think it's just the way he is, though I swear some days he intentionally slows down to drive me bonkers. It works.

We walked across the parking lot at St Joe at about 430 in the afternoon. Both of us fighting back nervous tears. The pitocin gets started at 630. And then we wait. and we wait. and I don't get to eat. and I'm hungry. Those 2 tacos were a long time ago. A really long time ago. Nothing really happened the rest of that night, I think I got to 6cm and hung out there for awhile. I didn't get any pain meds until well after midnight....so I guess I get to tell you about that tomorrow!

That evening Matt's parents came by the hospital to sit with us for a bit. My friend Angela came by too. Matt's parents brought him some fast food. I almost ate my bedsheet. After everyone left, we tried to get a little rest. It was difficult because we had two nurses in our room pretty much constantly monitoring things.

But Brooke's Birthday isn't until tomorrow.....April 1st....so I guess this story will finish up there. In the meantime, I'm going to go eat something. Because the flashbacks of hunger from this night make me want to haha--

This is a picture of us at my shower about 3 weeks before we had Brooke

No comments: