Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Five years ago TODAY (a.k.a Part II)


....the rest of the story....
Around 2 a.m. on the 1st, they gave me some pain medicine to "Take the edge off" so I could get some rest. I'd been stuck at a 6 or 7 for a really long time. We slept (lightly) for about an hour. The pain med was just not doing the trick. I hadn't wanted an epideural because I'm desperately afraid of needles. Around 3:25 in the morning, the nurses said that my doctor really thought I should get an epideural because it might help me relax and finish dilating. In tears I said yes. And then the next 15 minutes--of waiting for the guy to actually get in there and do it--were the most painful of my life! It was like my body knew I'd decided to get it and was going to put me thru the wringer before I got it. I was a wreck while they were putting it in. Leaning on the nurse with tears just rolling down my face...from the pain and the cold-gripping-fear of them actually putting the needle in.
It was in and working at 345. They had checked me just before and I was still at a 6. They checked me at 415, and I was at a ten! Yipppeeee the baby would soon be here!
Not really! I pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed. The doctor held one end of a towel and I held the other and she pulled and pulled and pulled with all her 120lb mite. Matt pushed me from behind with all his strength. This went on and on and on. This baby did NOT want to come out!!
I would like to insert here that I had requested no male nurses or residents, etc. I just have a thing about that. It is also helpful here to know that we did not know if we were having a boy or a girl.
Finally, at shift change, with about 17 people in our room (male and female!) watching the festivities, Brooke came out at 7:09 a.m. I was sooooo excited it was a girl. I was sooo excited it was done! She was healthy and beautiful and perfect and had gaggles of hair. (No wonder I had the heartburn I did!). Matt is convinced the 17 people then went in the hallway and exchanged payment on their bets on what we were having.
At 730 I started asking for something to eat. I asked constantly for about two hours till they finally came up with something for me to scarf down. I've never been so hungry. Those two tacos were nearly 24 hours earlier. I'd done a lot of work. I was starving. Same thing happened when we had Hannah. Starving new mommies is a shameful thing to do :)
It was a long wonderful day. It was a blur. We'd both been up since about 6 a.m. on the 31st. We didn't nap at all the day she arrived, and our last guests left the hospital around 10. We were so exhausted!
SO--Happy Birthday to my Princess. What a ride it has been! We love you so much!

No comments: