Thursday, November 10, 2011

Christmas Traditions - Guest Post!!!

Today I am happy to have my new friend Megan joining us for a guest post! I met her recently through my women's group, Hannah Circle, and she's a sweetie. Plus she's a total Disney nut like me which is always a good thing. Say hi to Megan....!

Coming straight to you from http://www.lovingthelittlethings.com/, I'm here to talk about Christmas traditions.

Ahhh, holidays. A source of joy. Family. Happy moments.






But also, stress. Yes, my friends, it's inevitable.





My parents divorced when I was a child, so my Christmas experiences probably aren't typical. Fortunately, I had parents who both cared about making the holiday season special, and there were times when I felt lucky that I got double the holiday fun instead of feeling bummed that I had a broken family.


And because of this, it meant that I was exposed to lots of fun holiday and Christmas traditions, since different things were important to each parent.


With that said, here are 5 fun things I could count on every Christmas. If you don't have any special holiday traditions with your family, feel free to borrow a few of mine. Believe me, your children will remember them for years to come, and will treasure all those special memories.



1) We watched a lot of Christmas movies. On a cold winter night, there's nothing better than snuggling up in the living room with lots of cozy blankets, buttery popcorn, and deliciously rich hot chocolate. Some of my favorite Christmas movies include:




If you don't have any of these, order a couple for your family. Seriously.

2. We attended midnight mass. Jesus is the reason for the season, and midnight mass was always a beautiful worship service. (and for a kid, getting to stay up that late is awesome!)




3. We always made it a point to remember those less fortunate than we were. We participated in various food drives and we always selected children to purchase gifts for from the Salvation Army Angel Tree.


4. We made Christmas cookies. Don't feel like you have to be a whiz in the kitchen to attempt this with your kiddos. If homemade dough, and beautifully decorated cookies are your thing, that's fabulous, but if refrigerated slice and bake and way too many sprinkles is as good as it gets, your kids will be just as thrilled!



5. We didn't know what gifts were ours. Kids are notorious for doing whatever it takes to figure out what's inside those festively wrapped packages. My mom was quite the trickster when she came up with creative ways of labeling the gifts under the tree. One year, all the gifts has a number, and on Christmas eve, she revealed that even numbered gifts were for me, and odd for my brother. Another year, all of one color were mine, and another color was his. Tricky! And fun :)




Now that I'm grown, I celebrate Christmas with my husband, and my two daughters, Kaylee and Isabelle. You'll find me blogging about them, posting lots of cute pictures, sharing my favorite recipes, all kinds of random things at http://www.lovingthelittlethings.com/. Come visit my blog, take a look around, and feel free to follow along!

-----


thanks Megan for your post!! Leave her some warm Worthwhile Moments loving in the comments section!

2 comments:

Send Thank You Flowers By Post said...

i love your mums idea of the marking of your presents..I wish my mum had done that! Me and my brother were so bad and would NEVER leave the presents alone! lol
You have somre really lovely traditions. Thanks for sharing.

Ελλάδα said...

Usually Christmas is the family get together, as a Filipino we start to celebrate our Christmas by attending mass with the whole family and after we eat together as we call it " Noche Buena" , then opening of gifts and some are making a small programs with the kids..Its really fun.