Sunday, October 10, 2010

Weekend Getaway

We had a little family escape this weekend to Kansas City. We're Great Wolf Lodge fans and decided to splurge and go do a night there. It's a good way to break up the fall and have a little time away before the busy-ness of the holiday season starts. Our fall-Christmas is always so busy!
Plus, there's some good shopping to be had at the Legends in KC. I seriously wish I had some more money to spend there this weekend!
Here's a recap.
Got up Saturday morning. On the road by 8:40 a.m.
Made great time till we hit construction at I-435 and 95th, got a little delayed there.
Met Matt's parents at Cheeseburger in Paradise. Hannah was squirrelly, service was slow, but I was happy to gnosh on my sweet potato chips. I love those things.
Lunch was followed by some shopping at Legends. It seems to have been a long time since we've gotten to hit the stores there where the weather is nice too. Last time we were in that area, we just did Nebraska Furniture Mart. Happy to pop into the Gap and Carter's outlets.
Was able to get early check-in at GWL. We had a suite booked with Matt's parents, king bed in one room, then the main area had two queens, bar/kitchenette, and living area. It's a good space for the six of us, though really needed another 1/2 bath. I don't know why that hasn't bothered me before!
After trying unsuccessfully to get Hannah to relax for awhile, we hit the waterpark. Brooke and Matt did some of the slides, Hannah and I did the kiddie area and little slides, we all hit the "big" pool for a bit.
After about an hour of swimming, we decided to go change our clothes and eat some dinner. We packed sandwich fixings and just ate in our room. It is their Howl-o-Ween event so they had some trick-or-treating set up. After doing that, we hit the arcade, dropped some money, racked up some tickets, got some prizes. We went to the clocktower story time at 8, then up to the room to try to get the girls ready for bed.
About 9p.m. I tried to get Hannah down while the rest of the fam was hanging out in the other room. I couldn't get her settled down so I made Matt try. I think she went to sleep for awhile at about 1030. She woke up at 1145 crying for me. Matt and I played musical beds again. About 1215 she's wide awake, patting my face saying "mommy? Are you alright?! I'm done sleeping! I want fish! (goldfish crackers) I want pepsi!" (Pepsi at 745p.m. might have been our downfall all along?!). At 1230 i decide that if she is so hungry, perhaps if I let her have a snack she'll sleep? That seemed to work...after a juice box and some goldfish in our bed, she finally went to sleep and slept--right up against me like a second skin--until 730. She probably would have slept longer if our alarm clock commonly known as Brooke the chatterbox hadn't woken up then. :)

We ate some cinnamon rolls that I had made and packed for breakfast then headed down to the waterpark right when it opened. Hannah didn't last too long and was asking to go to the room to take a nap 20 minutes later. Matt took her back to the room, Gma and Gpa went up too, and Brooke and I stayed to play awhile. We went in the waterfort and had fun playing there and going on the slides up there. I much prefer slides that don't involve rafts, they are so much easier.

After everyone was showered and it was time to check out, we headed over to the new Chick-Fil-A only to discover that it wasn't open yet. They open this week. What are the odds man?! We headed on down to Oak Park Mall and ate lunch there. A trip to KC is not complete without a stop at the Disney Store. We miss our Disney store in Wichita! We also had to go to the American Girl Store which has recently opened there. That place is like crack for little girls. Holy cow!
An uneventful drive home, where thankfully both girls slept, and we ended our weekend. Hannah seems to have picked up a cold. During bathtime I looked out the windows to discover the most gorgeous full-double rainbow I've seen in a long time. I always think those are amazing, and I think it's God's way of telling us that He, and loved ones that we have lost, are smiling down upon us. I've seen many a double rainbow on days when someone has had a funeral to doubt that. It is a amazing. I always take pictures.

Hope you had a great weekend!

1 comment:

Erin said...

such pretty pictures with the rainbow next to the fall colors!