Monday, January 9, 2012

BBQ Chicken Tacos - Yum!

There are these brisket tacos at On The Border that I just love. They have crispy onion straws on them, a smoky bbq sauce, and I don't know what else. I decided to create a chicken version here at home for dinner tonight.


BBQ Chicken Tacos is really not an adequate name to describe these bundles of yummy. Read and learn.


First, you will need some cooked shredded chicken. This my friend is why God gave us the grocery-store-rotisserie chicken. Busy mommy's best friend in the kitchen at dinner time. I only recently started throwing these in the cart on occassion. One of the few perks of being the person stuck getting groceries each week and preparing the meal is getting to sneak some of this chicken while pulling it off the bone. As a matter of fact, I shredded it and put most of it away to use tonight, but not before throwing some on a plate for my lunch! Yum.

Off subject already. So, get some chicken. I suggest using one of these:
And let me tell you, little fuzzball was going nuts when I was shredding this chicken. Apparently the smell makes puppies hungry too!
One of the key components of these tacos is the crunchy onion straws that are on them. I use Pioneer Woman's Recipe, it's quick, easy, and delish.
One of the few perks to being the one making dinner every night is getting to sneak onion strings off the plate as you are cooking. I only did that a few times. Really!
I randomly picked up this block of chipotle cheddar at Target today. (see the gorgeous onion strings in the back!?). I hadn't intended to use it on these, but baby did it make them yummy. For the girls' I used regular colby-jack shredded cheese, but for us grown ups who can handle a little bit of kick, I shredded up some of this stuff!
Okay so how do you make these? Easy peesy.
Put about 1/2 cup bbq sauce into 3 cups of shredded chicken.
In the middle of a warmed taco-sized tortilla, put about a 1/2 cup of the chicken, a generous sprinkling of cheese, some onion straws, and another drizzle of bbq sauce.
Roll it up tightly (leaving the ends open), and spray both sides with Pam. Place seam side down in a hot skillet (I used the griddle actually), and cook on each side until lightly toasted, about 2-3 minutes.
While they're cooking, mix some sour cream and bbq sauce together...I did equal proportions. Drizzle finished tacos with the bbq-cream and sprinkle with more cheese.
As a side note- the drizzle was meant originally to be a garnish but it actually added a lot to the final dish, so I would suggest doing this or putting it inside the tacos or having a dish of it to dip the taco in!
Enjoy!!!

No comments: