Thursday, April 14, 2011

Worthwhile Challenge Week 15-Pretzel Crusted Key Lime bars

I've been in that vacation mood this week, if you can tell, so when I found this recipe for Pretzel Crusted Key Lime Bars, I knew this was the one I wanted to try this week. Plus I owe my in-laws a dessert and MIL likes Key Lime stuff.


Here's how it's done. Crush 3 cups of pretzels...you don't want pretzel dust but you don't want chunks either. Mix with 6 T melted butter/margarine, 1 tsp kosher salt, and 3 T. sugar. Press into a greased 8" pan and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.


Let the crust cool a bit.


Then mix together 2 egg yolks, 1 (14oz) can of sweetened condensed milk, and 1/2 cup of key lime juice. Pour into crust, and bake another 15 minutes until set. Cool completely. Drizzle with melted white chocolate, and refrigerate at least an hour before serving.


Before the review, let's discuss key limes for a minute. If you are not familiar with them, they are little limes. like.... the size of.... a tootsie pop. Let me tell you here that I bought 8 key limes (not remembering the exact measurement needed at the time), and those 8 little boogers yielded me maybe 1/4 cup of juice. Not to be deterred, I pulled my plastic lime out of the fridge and topped off the lime juice measurement with that.


So how did they turn out? Looks pretty good, right?


I really liked these (no one else has tried one yet)...they are a great combo of salty, tart, tangy, and a little sweet. I have to say that the white chocolate drizzle is VERY important to help counteract the tartness. I also absolutely will leave the kosher salt OUT of the recipe whenever i make it.... pretzels are salty enough as it is, and with the added kosher salt, it was a little more salty than I like. But yes, I will eat these.


And you know what else? When we were on our last cruise and stopped in Key West, we had Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie on a stick. I won't lie to you, I'm seriously thinking about dunking a few of these bars in chocolate too. With that pretzel crust, it'd be a fabulous combination...don't you think? Let me know if you try them!

No comments: