Sunday, November 1, 2009

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Don't be afraid. Don't think "what a yucky combo." I was there once myself, and then I went ahead and tried a bite of one somewhere, and decided that Banana-Chocolate Chip (at least in terms of bread items) is indeed a good combination. I found a base recipe and tweaked it a bit, and the result is my family's new favorite muffin / breakfast item. They gobble them right up. Now you can make them so your family can gobble them too!








The ingredients:






Do you think my cupboard needs cleaned out? Just keeping it real here... no perfect cupboards going on around here.



Preheat oven to 350.


In a mixing bowl, mix 1 and 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, and a few shakes of salt:


In another bowl, mix 1 egg, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1 tsp vanilla, and one (8oz) carton of banana yogurt. (Or Banana Cream Pie, or vanilla, or plain).





Mix well and stir into dry mixture. No need for power tools on this recipe. Just stir it up with a big ol rubber spatula. Then stir in two or three mashed bananas.






Once mixed, stir in one heaping cup of chocolate chips. I use semi-sweet. Also, since I tend to make mini-muffins, I have found that using MINI chocolate chips works soooo much better for this recipe. If you use the big ones sometimes you just get one chocolate chip in a cup- but if you use the minis they seem to spread out much better! :) I discovered this by accidentally buying mini chocolate chips one week. This week I didn't have that accident, which is why you see regular chips here. I need to get into the habit of making that same mistake, especially with holiday baking coming!





Mom! Take my picture!



Oh mom, take my picture too!



Spray your muffin pans really well.

A side note; I'm so NOT a generic snob, I buy the store brand of lots of things. But this is the second can of Kroger "Pam" that has done this too me-- ooze stuff. I'm so done buying generic Pam.





Bake the mini muffins about 10 minutes, and check them.

Do you see anything wrong in this picture? Well maybe not since there is not scent associated with this blog. But if you could smell this picture, it would smell like burnt hair. That's what happens when you are an idiot who has a candle burning on the stove and gets your arm too close to the flame when you're setting the oven timer...!




When they are getting golden around the edges and a toothpick comes out clean, they are done! Let them rest in the pan for a few minutes and then flip 'em out onto the counter. I think they taste best cool. Don't they look yummy?





My girls see these come out of the oven and I can't get them to leave them alone. I said "Hannah, no! hot hot!" she went and did something else and I was talking to Brooke. All of the sudden, here comes Hannah with chocolate all over her face and half of a warm muffin in her hand. I didn't know she could reach onto the counter already! She couldn't wait to get her hands on a muffin! In this picture she had since stuffed the other half in her mouth





Now if you want to make these more of a dessert- you can put some peanut butter frosting on them. Sounds gross huh? Nope, trust me it is good too! PB frosting is basically PB, butter, powdered sugar and a little milk. But these little delights are good without anything on top!



Let me know what you think!?

1 comment:

pohren said...

Mmmmm, I will add this to my recipe arsenal! I always need something to do with yucky bananas! Thanks