Friday, February 19, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Soup & Fruit Salad Surprise

After reading a few recipes, and evaluating the ingredients I actually had on hand, I created a new recipe today for Chicken Enchilada Soup. I don't have pics, because it's so simple and because i wasn't sure how well it would turn out.

Matt gave it 2 thumbs up and said "it is 10x's better than that crockpot chicken TACO soup you used to make." That soup was more brothy--this soup is more cream based. Give it a try. It's yum.

In the bottom of your crockpot, dump a can of rotel (original, but if that is still a little too spicy for you, just do a can of diced tomatoes).
Then dump in a small bag of frozen corn.
Dice up 1/2 an onion and throw that in.
Put a few chicken breasts in on top of all of this.
Stir together a can of mild enchilada sauce, a can of cream of chicken soup, and about a cup of milk. Pour over the top.
Let this cook for several hours until the chicken is cooked thru. Pull the chicken out, let it cool, shred it up and put it back in the crockpot.

At this point it was still a little too spicy for the girls, so I chopped up a chunk of Velveeta--probably about an inch-thick slab, and stirred that in. That helped make it a little creamier and a little less spicy. Top it off with some of your favorite cheddar cheese. Would be good served with tortilla chips or fritos as well.

This was yummy soup! I think it will be just as good with some of those Hunt's diced Fire Roasted tomatoes I talked about recently, which I had in the cupboard but wasn't ready to use them this early in the week! Gotta save them in case I want to use them in a recipe in the next few days.

While I'm at it, I'll give you a recipe for our Fruit Salad Surprise we had tonight. I wanted to let Brooke help with dinner, so I put her to work slicing bananas and strawberries. We were going to make a good old fashioned fruit salad and I was on my way to get out the apples and peaches, when she said "can we put chocolate in this?!" Hmmm. Strawberries. Bananas. Chocoloate. "Yes honey we can!". We threw in some strawberry flavored marshmallows, I melted some chocolate, and drizzled it in while she stirred. Then we stuck it in the fridge for a little while - and it came out as a yummy dessert/side dish.

Enjoy!