Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Big Girl Brooke

I will never be lacking in a blog topic because I have Brooke. My silly, funny, sweet, dramatic almost 5 year old. She has really been growing up and changing a lot lately. We still get those flashes of fits and temper, but some of the things she has been doing has been so "big-girl!". She has taken a huge interest in writing. She has notebooks and pens located around the house, and it seems at any given moment she's sitting there practicing writing a variety of letters and numbers, and asking how to spell things. The joy she exhibits when she successfully writes a word is so precious. I think she is amazed at the fact that she can actually write something besides her name, with some spelling assistance. This week she finally figured out how to pump on the swing. finally. I was wondering if that would ever "click."

And the things that come out of her mouth. I look at her and think "who is this 12 yr old personality in a 5 yr old body?!" Last night she said "Mom, I'm done with my sandwich. I'm just gonna sit here and hang with my chips." I said..."uh..alright?!"
Here are some fun little things about Brooke. Much like the "25 things you didn't know about me" thing that everyone posted on facebook...here's some fun little things about Brooke. But not 25. and not on facebook.
1. Her favorite restaurants are Subway and Olive Garden.
2. Her favorite color is Orange. This comes from the fact that her favorite ice cream is Braum's Orange Sherbert...has been for about 3 yrs now, and therefore that is her favorite color.
3. When you ask her what she wants to be when she grows up, she says "I just want to be married and be a mommy." We must be doing something right around here if she thinks being married is a thing to aspire to :)
4. When she was about one or so, we noticed that when she got excited, she'd lean forward and her little body would quiver a bit. When she started standing, she would lean forward and her arms would go behind her a bit and that was her excited little twitch. She still does it sometimes, it is so cute.
5. Brooke didn't get her first tooth till she was 13 months old. (Hannah appears to be following in her footsteps).
6. Brooke didn't walk till she was 15.5 months old. We're hoping Hannah beats her and seems to be well on her way in doing just that.
7. Brooke does not like cool whip / whipped topping. Not on anything. Weird kid.
8. She loves to do projects of all sorts, including helping mommy cook. We don't do this as often as we should, because mommy gets impatient and mommy likes to cook too -by herself!--maybe we'll work on this.
9. Brooke has one hell of a memory. Not textbook stuff -- life stuff.
10. Brooke has one hell of an imagination. She has imaginary friends, can make up stories like no other. This morning she tells me, "Just a minute mom, after I finish sending this text message..." -on my old phone that is her pretend phone. Ironically, mommy doesn't even text!
11. I was reading an assesment for 5 year olds and it said "Does your child speak in 4 to 5 word sentences?" I laughed out loud. My 5 year old speaks in entire paragraphs. She starts talking when she gets up in the morning and doesn't stop till bedtime. If we're not listening to her, she's talking to whatever imaginary friend she is giving directions to, or her "kids", etc.
12. She has a pair of pajamas that say "I am a dream come true".... and that is indeed the case!

Some recent pics of our beautiful big girl--

No comments: