Thursday, February 19, 2009

Back in the Day....

Some days it totally boggles my mind that, besides my family, about 95% of the people in my life now didn't know me until my mid-20's or later. That's over 20 years of my life that most people know very little about. Matt and I didn't even meet till I was 22. For this reason, I always find myself hugely fascinated by, and sometimes envious of, people who were high school sweethearts, or grew up in the same town and got married, etc. One of my oldest friends and her husband were both in my kindergarten class. Amazes me. Matt and I have been married for almost 10 years and there are probably still thousands of little stories and things from my childhood that I still haven't filled him in on. Will I ever get him up to speed? Does he want to get caught up!? Probably not...haha.


I'm not sure why I am doing this but I'm sure there is some entertainment value... I dug out my old school pictures. When we graduated, we were given the school office record card that had our school picture on it from Kg-Senior year. So I thought I would share them with you. Even the third thru sixth grade ones that I absolutely hate. With a passion. My mom wouldn't ever grow my hair out because she said "when you're old enough to take care of it and do it yourself, then you can do what you want to with it." Gasp-how could she?! And certainly I could do my own hair by sixth grade so why in God's name it was still this short in sixth grade I'll never know. Anyways- here they are...

This is kg, first, second and third.Does everyone have one of those "silhouette" or reflection pictures from the early 80's? Come to think about it, I have one of Hannah from 6 months ago! Wasn't I cute?




Here is 4th, 5th, and 6th. What is going on with my hair? And those glasses? I pray to the Lord above that my girls have Matt's vision and won't need glasses, but I promise if they do they will not be this horrible.







7th and 8th grade. 7th was always one of my favorites b/c I finally had contacts and they were green. Which you obviously can't see in this pic. I had some frizz issues going on in 8th grade. Didn't we all in that era?










9th, 10th, and 11th. I have no commentary for these, but thankfully they were an improvement over years past!






One of many senior pictures. Ironically, I wasn't nearly the Disney fan then as I am now. See that pillow under my arms, with the mickey pillow case? Got my first kiss on that pillow case.... it was the pillow I'd taken to church camp and at Tuesday night "stargazing" Jesse Johnson shared my pillow and kissed me under the stars...lol...at CHURCH camp! :) Aye-yai-yai. Speaking of senior pictures, Matt didn't take any. He was seriously anti-getting his picture taken, and I don't think I've seen a single picture of him in high school except maybe a yearbook picture. And let me tell ya- that makes me crazy! Me the picture nut, with no pics of her hubby for a gap of years...however will I do some fabulous family-history scrapbook for our girls someday!?



So now I've shared with you some of the good, bad and ugly of pictures growing up. I'll refrain from the vast numbers of snapshots that were none too fabulous! My cousin Danica is in a lot of those pictures, and she already threatened me if I put any of them on facebook a few months ago...so I'm guessing she might not want them on here. Though I don't think she reads this, so how would she ever find out!


Over time, assuming I keep blogging....I'll share some stories from "Back in the Day" with you... though for most of you, as I said, "Back in the day" could just be a mere 5 or 10 years ago given how long we have or haven't known each other!


Go trip down your own memory lane for awhile. It's a good way to let yourself relax a bit! How timely...as I finish this post, "Step by Step" by New Kids on the Block is playing on the 90's channel on our digital cable.... I was a NKOTB nut in 8th and 9th grade. But that's a whole 'nother post!

No comments: