Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Meatball Calzones-easy!

I decided to make Meatball Calzones last night, and kind of winged it as far as recipes go. I wanted easy-to-use, convenient items and I wanted it to be yummy.
Here's how I did it. I mixed up a batch of Pioneer Woman's pizza crust, which you can find here. I did this about 3:30 in the afternoon before the After-School-Witching-Hour began, and to give it a good hour to rise. If you don't want to make crust from scratch, I'm sure a tube of the refrigerated stuff would be fine.
Once the dough is ready, roll it out into a big rectangle on a floured surface and cut into smaller rectangles of your choice. I got about six good-sized Calzone/Pizza Pockets out of this recipe of dough.
I said I was all about convenience, so I used frozen meatballs. I buy the big bag of walmart brand Italian style meatballs to have on hand. Heat however many you need in the microwave, I did about six per Calzone. This is basically to thaw them out.
Place meatballs on one side of each rectangle. Sprinkle with garlic powder and onion powder. Sprinkle a liberal amount of cheese...mozzarella...colby jack....either is fine. Fold the naked half over onto the topping half and pinch closed all the way around. Place on sprayed cookie sheet.
Once all your calzones are on the cookie sheet, whisk an egg white with some italian seasoning, and brush the tops. This will make them a pretty golden brown. Bake in preheated 450 degree oven until nice and golden brown on top.
Serve with a side of spaghetti sauce (from a jar is fine! That's what I did). Gobble them up.
The easier-to-read version (I don't know how to make a 'printable' on here?! Hmmm).
Pizza dough
Frozen meatballs
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Shredded Cheese
Italian Seasoning
Egg White
Roll dough. Cut into rectangles. Place meatballs, powders, and shredded cheese on half of each rectangle, and then fold over and pinch shut. Brush tops with the egg white/italian seasoning mix. Bake at 450 till golden brown. Serve with marinara.

No comments: