Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Balloons Balloons Balloons

Things have been so busy around here! We just had a great long weekend in Iowa visiting my family. Why is it we are always so tired after our getaways?

My "took a cake class just because I wanted to" seems like it might be turning into a nice little side-business for me. Worthwhile Moments Sweet Shoppe is keeping busy for the month of August!

Thought I'd share some pictures with you from our first night in Iowa. We went to the National Hot Air Balloon festival...a weeklong event held in Indianola every summer. That's where my mom and stepdad live. Each year an average of 100 balloons/balloonists are in attendance, along with loads of spectators. We went out early, and snagged a place in the shade with our lawn chairs. They had several "fair food" type vendors so we all gnoshed on that. (Yum). Then we hung out until the festivities started.

My mom had been talking for years about how cool it was.... it started out a little slow and I was concerned I was going to be disappointed. Let's just say, I was NOT disappointed! It was awesome! See for yourself:


The kids were so good while we were waiting. Just horsing around and having fun.
Cute pic of my sis in law Megan and sweet nephew Brayton. My brother was working.


Gotta have cotton candy when there is fair food around...even though we have a cotton candy machine.




These three (very large) balloons were blowing up right in front of us. They were the ones available to take rides in... for $150 per person!! For the record, I have zero interest in taking a ride in one of these. I like roller coasters... I hate ferris wheels. The hot air balloon is too close to a ferris wheel for me :) Slow, high, and tippy.
After the 630 pilot's meeting, they took off to a place behind us and launched there.
Then they came right over the top of us....
And landed on the field in front of us. There was also a target they were shooting for to try to land a beanbag on. They had challenges all week.
At one point I counted 48 balloons in the air that I could see!
what a sunset!
It was a great way to spend a summer evening with family. I hope we can do it again sometime!

No comments: