Saturday, June 18, 2011

Worthwhile Challenge week #23 - Crockpot Enchiladas

I heart facebook.

It keeps me in touch with friends near and far, it allows me to share my random thoughts here and there, and it gets me feedback from others in a quick way.

Take, for instance, my post the other day: "It's grocery shopping day and I have no idea what to cook this week? Any ideas?"

And the result of comments from a few friends led to me making Crockpot Chicken Enchiladas.

Jamie said: Put frozen chicken breasts in a crockpot with 1 cup white corn, 1 can drained/rinsed blackbeans, and a cup of salsa. Cook on high 4-5 hours, add some cheese, and serve over rice.

Then Libby said: I do this too but put cream of mushroom soup and sour cream in as well. We put it in tortillas for burritos.

I got to thinking that this really was sounding a lot like my regular enchilada filling, so this is how I did it (or how I am telling you I did it, because it's the final recipe I decided upon after that evening).

In a crockpot, put in some chicken breasts, corn, rinsed/drained blackbeans, and some salsa. Cook on high, and shred chicken when it is shreddable. put in a block of cream cheese, and once it melts, stir well, add in some shredded cheese (cheddar or the mexican mix stuff). Serve in soft tortillas.

Just like chicken enchiladas without the baking in the oven thing and therefore without the sauce on top. I love meals that I can throw together and not worry about later in the day. I've been kind of in "lazy cook" mode!

No comments: