Wednesday, July 28, 2010

CAKE

Most of you know that I have been taking a cake class. You can see my photo album on facebook. But I had to post the cake I did last night. I spent hours looking at cakes online trying to decide how I wanted to decorate my stacked cake.
I made a 9" chocolate cake filled with chocolate buttercream. Stacked a 6" Creme Brulee cake on top of it. It was all iced in white buttercream. As I sat and looked at the cake at home (I wish I would have taken a before picture), I was not thrilled with how level the cakes were (or were not), and the buttercream had some crumbs in it which I also was not thrilled about.

I went to class with some sparkle tipped roses that I had made at home. Some from fondant and some from royal icing. I knew I wanted to try a few different techniques with fondant (the draping and the braid are fondant dusted with luster dust). I also knew I wanted to try the quilting method with the sugar pearls (bottom layer. please disregard any crumbs). I wasn't sure how it was all going to come together.
Well....here is how it turned out! I was so pleased with the results. Maybe, with some more practice, I could actually pull off a wedding cake someday! I have my first official cake order this weekend for a baby shower cake. I'm excited to do it and praying it turns out as cute as I am hoping!


What do you think of this one?!

1 comment:

Rachael said...

WOWWWWWWWWW! That looks so pretty...and yummy! Love love the sparkles in those roses